The Ginstitute began its life as London’s smallest museum above a building that is ingrained with an alcohol-sodden past, No. 171 Portobello Road, a public house since the 19th century. Outgrowing it’s diminutive home & combined with the desire of the Portobello Road Gin team to bring production of the gin back to it’s roots, in 2016 we upped sticks and moved a few doors down London’s most famous street to No.186, where lies a building that has housed drinking establishments since 1867, most famously The Colville Hotel, known affectionately as 'the Pisshouse’.
We’ve tucked our (significantly larger) museum & blending room below this historic building in the basement, where our Master Distillery Jake Burger & his team of Ginstructors are frequently bothered by the ghost of a nimble-fingered but clumsy bartender named Charles. Joining this disparate group are our shiny new alembic copper Stills, the stupendous 400L King Henry & his 30L sidekicks, Copernicus the Third & Copernicus the Fourth.